Tuesday, March 8, 2011

“American History” Experience with Discrimination


When I was 11 years old my casa took me out to a Chinese restaurant for dinner. I asked my waiter for shrimp fried rice and water and he told “you know there’s a soul food place down the street you know?” I was really upset and offended because most black people I know eat soul food and he only said it to me. He laughed as he walked away with our order. I told my casa that I didn’t appreciate what he said and I would like an apology so she asked to speak with his manager and told him the situation. The waiter didn’t say sorry so me and my casa left. It made me pretty angry because I didn’t know adults could be so harsh to kids. Later on that mouth we went back and found out that the guy was fired. We felt that justice was served.

1 comment: